Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Beef Stroganoff!

My Version of Beef Stroganoff
  
This can be served over either rice or noodles. A little work but well worth the effort. Not to confuse you, but the recipe I was going to use, (which is below) just had to many things in it 

that I didn't agree with. Canned mushrooms, no thank you, chuck roast, butter, etc etc. So I really did change it up alot. I still am giving you the recipe I was going to make but put my version below it. You can try them both if you like or change it up to your liking. Everyone loved this dish. Very tasty. I am not a fan of beef unless its a steak but this was really good. I will definitely make this again. I might try it over rice next time but I do love the egg noodles.

Ingredients:

Cut fat off

**I chose to tenderize the meat


cut into strips  approx 1/2 inch thick by 2 inches long. 
Season with 1/2 teaspoon of both salt and pepper

Marinade the meat in red wine. I used burgundy and garlic

Put  in refrigerator for 1 -3 hours 


Add a little olive oil
*(I use the spray)

Saute the onion in olive oil

Add the fresh mushrooms

Put onions and mushrooms in a bowl

Add cornstarch and or flour
** (I used 2 tablespoons of each)


to a little of the beef broth


mix well


brown meat in a little olive oil


Pour flour and or cornstarch over meat


Add rest of beef broth


Add worcestershire sauce and mustard
Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for an hour or until meat is tender


Just before serving add sour cream and cream cheese

Serve and enjoy!

Recipe:
This is the recipe I was going to make but realized there was butter and canned mushrooms. I decided to doctor this up and make my own recipe. It  follows this one. 

Original recipe makes 6 to 8 servings

 2 pounds beef chuck roast

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

4 ounces butter

4 green onions, sliced

(white parts only)

4 tablespoons all purpose flour

1 (10.5 ounce can condensed beef broth

1 teaspoon prepared mustard

1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained

1/3 sour cream

1/3 cup white wine

salt to taste

Remove any fat and gristle from the roast and cut into strips 1/2 inch thick by 2 inches long. Season 
with 1/2 teaspoon of both salt and pepper.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and brown the beef strips quickly, then push the beef strips off to one side. Add the onions and cook slowly for 3 to 5 minutes, then push to the side with the beef strips.


Stir the flour into the juices on the empty side of the pan. Pour in beef broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and stir in mustard. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.

Five minutes before serving, stir in the mushrooms, sour cream, and white wine. Heat briefly then salt and pepper to taste.

   

 MY VERSION:

2 pounds top sirloin  
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 to 2 cups of red wine for marinading
2 cloves of garlic 
2 tablespoon of olive oil or spray
1 medium yellow onion
1 pkg fresh mushroom 10 to 12 ounces or there about
**(I use baby bellas)
2 tablespoon corn starch
2 tablespoon all purpose flour
1-10 ounce can condensed beef broth
1 tablespoon  worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 cup sour cream (fat free)
1/2 cup cream cheese (fat free)

Directions:


Remove any fat and gristle from the sirloin and cut into strips 1/2 inch thick by 2 inches long. Tenderize the meat if you choose to. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of both salt and pepper.

Marinade meat in red wine and garlic  for 1 to 3 hours.

Spray skillet with olive oil and saute onions. Add mushrooms. When cooked pour in bowl. 

Add cornstarch and flour to a little of the beef broth and mix well. 

Add a little olive oil to skillet and brown meat. Pour cornstarch and flour mixture over meat. 

Add rest of beef broth.  Add worcestershire sauce and mustard. Bring to a boil, then simmer for an hour or until meat is tender.

Just before serving, add the sour cream and cream cheese.  


 I served this with egg noodles, the no yolk kind), parmesan bread, and 
**Click above to  get salad recipe

Enjoy!

I sliced some turkish bread, (any bread works), 
put a little olive oil on it, added some fresh parmesan cheese 
and baked it. Yum! 

I did have a little helper also.





Thank you Jaxson. I couldn't have don it without you.

xoxo
Lenetta

WebRep
currentVote
noRating
noWeight

No comments: