Thursday, June 12, 2014

How to separate pups from Sago Palms!

Our sago palms had some new growth called 
pups growing on them and around them.

It looks like there are just a couple of

 pups here but there are several.


 
Decided it was time to get them out
 so got my sharpshooter shovel (also called a 
drain shovel) out and started digging. 





Dig out away from them a little if you 
can. If they are on or against
 the tree, just use your shovel to dig
 down and push it against the tree and they will pop out. 


The first two I got out.  A couple of
 them were really hard to get. 
There roots were thick and they just held tough. These really should have been
 taken up when they were a lot smaller. 


That is a really big pup

After you get them all out, cut 
off all the green on them


I cleaned up all the old growth. I just 
used a pair of scissorsbut you can use
 whatever works for you to cut 
clean them up


Next cut off all of the roots



Then clean all of the dirt off of
 them. I sprayed them with the water hose




Put them in a cool dark place 
for 10 days and let them dry out


I put these in the laundry room.

Some of these are really large. See 
the little one on top.
That's the size thats best to dig 
them. They just pop out 
of the ground so easy. 

After 10 days I will plant these
 in pots. These can stay in a dark 
dry place for up to a few months 
if you want them to.

Most of these will be give-aways. Let me know if you want one.

xoxo
Lenetta


No comments: