Tuesday, March 5, 2013

White Chili Review!




White Chili

This is so yummy!! I thought it would be to spicy for me but I left the cilantro out. I did use the pepper flakes and a cup and a half of

 green chiles. Lots of flavor. I am betting it's even better the next day. 

Ingredients


I did not use the 4 tablespoon butter and I also used 3 cans of green chiles


Soak beans for 2 hours



Rinse and 


soak again -I soaked them overnight



Rinse well


Add to broth


Put oil (I used oil instead of butter)
onions, garlic and chiles in skillet


Saute for 5 to 10 minutes

Chop chicken


Mix cumin, oregano, white pepper, 
black pepper, salt and red pepper flakes


Bring beans to a boil


Then add chiles mixture

Add chicken and spices
(I chose not to use the cilantro)


simmer for a couple hours

Enjoy!




Recipe:

1 pound dried navy beans
5 cups chicken stock
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3/4 cup diced onion
1 1/2 cups chopped green chiles (fresh or canned)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 to 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
Pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
Directions
Rinse beans well, cover with cool water, and soak for 2 hours. Drain. Put the beans in large pot with the chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat.

In a saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and chiles and saute for 5 minutes. Add chile mixture to pot with beans. Add the chicken, cumin, oregano, pepper, white pepper, red pepper flakes, and cilantro. Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 1 1/2 hours. Serve with cornbread, if desired.

Put this with cornbread and a cold glass of milk

Enjoy!!



No comments: