Wednesday, April 3, 2013

BLT Salad with Basil Mayo Dressing Review!


BLT Salad with Basil Mayo Dressing 
I really liked this salad but the salt on the
 croutons made it entirely too salty.
If I were to make this again, I would skip the 
salt altogether. I loved the croutons, just 

not the salt. The salt in the bacon is more than
 enough. But a nice salad for bacon
 lovers. I also think I would put some green
 onions in this also. 

Ingredients:

Fry Bacon till crispy


Set aside



Chop lettuce-put in bowl


Quarter tomatoes- add to lettuce

Crumble bacon-add to tomatoes



In small bowl add mayonaise


Red wine vinegar


Chop fresh basil and add
(Basil is from my garden) :)


 
Add bacon drippings

 mix well-set aside




Cut bread in small cubes-put in skillet with salt and pepper


Drizzle oil and stir

until golden brown

Mix Salad

Add dressing

Mix well 
Add croutons

Enjoy!


Recipe:
Original recipe makes 4 servings
(I halved this recipe for Don and I)

         1/2 pound bacon
         1/2 cup mayonnaise
         2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
         1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
         4 slices French bread, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
         1 teaspoon salt
         1 teaspoon ground black pepper
         1 tablespoon canola oil
         1 pound romaine lettuce - rinsed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
         1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
 
Directions
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
In a small bowl, whisk together the reserved bacon drippings, mayonnaise, vinegar and basil and let dressing stand, covered, at room temperature.
In a large skillet over medium heat, toss the bread pieces with the salt and pepper. Drizzle with the oil, continue tossing and cook over medium-low heat until golden brown.
In a large bowl mix together the romaine, tomatoes, bacon and croutons. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.



I paired this with
 Best Cream of Broccoli Soup

 (Review is up)


Enjoy! 



Lenetta

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok you need to get a print button for these types of things....I love the idea of the salad. I think I will have to try it.

Life according to Lenetta said...

Hi Trina, This BLT salad was good but the Strawberry Avocado Salad is one of the best I have ever eaten. So so good. Enjoy your day. :)