Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Weight Watchers Shepherd's Pie Review!




         Weight Watchers Shepherd's Pie

This is very very good. I really didn't think I would care for this with the turkey but I was wrong. I will make this again and again. I did decide to put my twist on it and did half mashed potatoes and 

half mashed cauliflower. I love potatoes but the cauliflower was just another way to make this healthier and without the starch.  Don loved it all. He said to make this one again. The only thing I would change is I would use only half of the rosemary. I thought it was a little much. Also, next time, I don't think I will add the butter. With all the flavor in this, I don't think the butter will be missed at all. That would just make it a little more healthy. A great meal. Pretty easy to make.  Add a nice salad and you have a nice healthy meal. 

Ingredients:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees


Peel and cook potatoes in water

When potatoes are soft


Put in bowl with butter and sourcream

Mash
(I used a little skim milk to get the texture I wanted)

While potatoes are cooking chop onions



Chop carrots

Chop celery


Put olive oil in skillet and cook vegetables

When vegetables are soft add turkey and cook

Add spices and flour

Mix well

Add chicken broth

Simmer until thickens

Pour in baking dish

Smooth out mixture

Add potatoes on top
(I only did half as I wanted to try half with mashed cauliflower)
\
Cook until soft

Add butter and sour cream 

Mash
(To get a better texture, I added a couple large spoons of mashed potatoes to it, along with a little bit of milk)

I put cauliiflower on other half

Bake at 400 for 30 minutes

Remove from oven 
Mashed potatoes on left-cauliflower on right.
Enjoy!

Recipe:

1/4 cup(s) fat-free sour cream   
1 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine   
2 large uncooked potato(es), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces   
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste   
2 tsp olive oil  
(I use 3 teaspoons of olive oil) 
1 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), chopped   
2 medium uncooked carrot(s), diced   
2 rib(s) (medium) uncooked celery, diced   
1 pound(s) uncooked ground turkey breast   
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour   
1 Tbsp rosemary, fresh, chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
(Next time I will only use half tablespoon of rosemary)   
1 tsp dried thyme   
1/2 tsp table salt   
1/4 tsp black pepper   
2 cup(s) canned chicken broth, or beef broth   


  
             Instructions
            Preheat oven to 400ºF.

            Place potatoes in a large saucepan and pour in enough water to cover potatoes. Set pan over high heat and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes, until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain potatoes, transfer to a large bowl and add sour cream and margarine; mash until smooth, season to taste with salt and set aside.

            Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery; cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add turkey and cook until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Add flour, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper; stir to coat. Add broth and bring to a simmer; simmer until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
(It was closer to 15 minutes)
            Transfer turkey mixture to a 9-inch, deep-dish pie plate. Spread mashed potatoes over top and using the back of a spoon, make decorative swirls over the top. Bake until potatoes are golden, about 30 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve.






Enjoy!



1 comment:

Fluster Buster said...

I love that you are reviewing Weight Watcher recipes. The Shepherds Pie looks yummy! I follow you via GFC. I host a weekly party that starts at 6:00pm every Tuesday called Fluster’s Creative Muster Party. I would love for you to stop by and share your talent and creativity.

Hugs and Smiles,

Robin @ Fluster Buster
Follow My Blog with GFC