Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Chicago-Style Hot Dog Made Skinny Review!




Chicago-Style Hot Dog Made Skinny



I just recently, a couple of months ago, had my first Chicago Style Hot Dog at Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers. They had just opened in Houston. I don't normally eat hotdogs but it looked so good, I had to try it. To my surprise, I loved it.  It’s extremely popular in Chicago with everything in it but the kitchen sink!  A Chicago dog is typically made using an


 all-beef hot dog on a poppy seed bun piled high with mustard, sweet pickle relish, onion, tomato, a dill pickle spear, pepperoncini and a dash of celery salt.  Then I found this  skinny version that is made with a yummy 40 calorie, all-beef hot dog, placed in a honey wheat bun and topped with all the typical fixings of a traditional Chicago dog.  Each Chicago dog now has 232 calories, 5 grams of fat and 6 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS My verdict…Pretty darn amazing and pretty messy too! Be sure to serve with lots of napkins! Don loved them and wanted more. I will be making these often. Super easy and fast to make on those nights you don't have much time. These are delicious.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutesIngredients


I toasted the buns

Instead of using yellow mustard I used dijon for Don and
I used mild dijon for myself

Put on pickle relish first, then onion

Then tomatoes

I had a whole jar of dill pickle slices so I didn't buy the spears.
I just used these. They worked fine. I skipped the 
pepperoncini slices or banana pepper slices

Recipe:

 Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes


Ingredients for 1 hot dog:
1 Hebrew National 97% fat-free all-beef hot dog, see shopping tips
1 Trader Joe’s honey wheat hot dog bun or your favorite 
whole wheat or multi-grain hot dog bun
(I used white wheat buns) 
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon chopped onion
2-4 tomato slices
½ dill pickle cut into 2 spears
2 pepperoncini slices or banana pepper slices


Instructions
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, place hot dog in water, and cook 5 minutes or until done.
2. Place hot dog in bun. Pile on the toppings in this order: yellow mustard, sweet pickle relish, onion, tomato wedges, pickle spear, pepperoncini slices or banana pepper slices.  The tomatoes should be nestled between hot dog and top of bun. Place pickles between hot dog and bottom of bun.
Makes 1 Chicago hot dog


Sodium NoteThis recipe is very high in sodium due to the hot dog and pickles. I don’t recommend it for those on a low sodium diet. For the rest of us, this recipe can be enjoyed once in a while. You could leave the pickle off to cut down on the sodium.


Shopping TipsHebrew National 97% fat-free all-beef hot dogs can be found in most supermarkets in the same aisle where other hot dogs are sold. Trader Joe’s also sells them. Each hot dog has 40 calories and 1 gram of fat.
My favorite hot dog buns are Trader Joe’s Honey Wheat Buns.  Each bun has 140 calories, 3 grams fat and contain 6 grams of fiber!  Another tasty one is Oroweat’s whole wheat hot dog buns.  Each has 190 calories, 3.5 grams of fat and 8g fiber.

Weight Watchers (old points) 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6 

    
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 Chicago hot dog including all the toppings (based on Trader Joe’s bun)
232 calories 5g fat, 15g protein, 37g carbs, 8g fiber, 1790mg sodium, 9g sugar
FAT FACTS: for 1 Chicago hot dog
377 calories, 20g fat, 12g protein, 38g carbs, 3g fiber, 2387mg sodium, 14.7 g sugar




Makes 1 Chicago hot dog
  

I paired this with sweet potato fries

Enjoy!!




 

No comments: