Friday, May 10, 2013

What a great day!!

We decided to go down and do some volunteer work today at the Wildlife center


They send an email out that they are desperate for newspaper so I called my friend Solie and 

they had a whole bin full. We went and picked them up and headed to the center. 


Along the way, we saw this man walking or limping down the side of the road. It had been raining and I thought he looked like he might be in pain so I told Don to turn around and let's offer him a ride. So we did. 


Turned out he is a homeless man, very kind and gentle soul.He was headed looking for food. We took him to Jack in the Box and brought him lunch. He was very grateful. I wish I could
have done more for him. I will be on the look out for him. 

Next door to the Wildlife Center is the SPCA. 
Don wanted to stop and see what we have to do to volunteer there. We have already put our application in to be foster parents to some of the animals. It's a great program that sends animals that have been there for a while or are hurt and can't be adopted for whatever reason, to foster homes where they can go to the park or just hang with their foster parents.


While there we decided to check out the animals. I found a dog I really may still end up with. Can't stop thinking about her. Her name there is Katie.

She has only been there for 4 days and while all the other dogs were barking and jumping around, she just laid there. I finally coaxed her over to me and she looked so incredibly sad, she made me cry. We found out that her "FAMILY" had moved and "surrendered" her to the SPCA. You could just tell she 
was so confused and missed her family. She's 8 years old and not likely to be adopted anytime soon. Well, we'll see.  :)



We went and found someone and took her into a room and just loved on her for awhile. We asked if we could take her outside and we did. I took her running and she actually 
started holding her tail up. She was feeling a little better.  She didn't want to go back to her cage. I hated leaving her. Don said we
could bring her home today but I want to wait and talk to the lady about fostering her for a few days first to see how her and 
Sammy get along. I would not want to bring her home, then have to give her up again. So we will wait and see. We may have to go see her 
again this weekend. 


Here's her papers

 
We left and Don went to find the restroom. 
I decided to go back and see her real quick

This time she came straight to me wagging her tail. This may be our new baby. 

Then Don wanted to see this cat. Her name is Tammy

So we went in and played with her. He wanted tobring her home also. He has such a soft spot
for all these animals. 

We didn't bring her home yet, because she is not good with kids and I was afraid she might not like Sammy. Another one we may adopt. 

Not sure volunteering at the SPCA
is a good idea. We may need a large farm. :)

These are pictures and stories of animals that have been adopted. I loved reading this board. 

We left here and went to the Wildlife Center
They put us to work feeding baby birds. 


We fed grackles, robins, blue jays, and sparrows. 

We then also fed the baby grey and fox squirrels
Don loved these little ones. Some had their eyes open. Some didn't. 

They have rabbits, owls, hawks, 
possums, a baby fawn, fox, many many kinds of birds,  and other types of animals.

I am so impressed with this place. To have hundreds of baby animals that need feed at least 3 times a day, some more, it is so clean and doesn't smell. That is just amazing to me. What a great place to do volunteer work. 

Lenetta




No comments: