Thursday, May 22, 2014

Planting Running Black Bamboo in Pots!


I love, love, love the black bamboo. I found this black "running" bamboo. I decided since I can't plant this in my yard, I would put it in 
large ceramic pots.


***If you plant bamboo in pots, your pots should be wider than they are tall, and need a good drainage hole in them. 

I first put these two larger rocks to help to keep from blocking the hole with dirt.



I then added a good layer of marble chips

Covered the rock with good soil




Then I mixed more dirt with some fertilizer  in with dirt

 I laid the bamboo on side and wiggled it around to loosen dirt, then pulled bamboo out of black plastic pot. These were 15 gallon plants


Set bamboo in pot and filled in with dirt.
Added a little bit more fertilizer on top

watered well

I love this  black bamboo.  It's name is
"Phyllostachys nigra"
Black Bamboo

Here it is in ceramic pot


So pretty


I love these

***If you plant bamboo in pots, keep in mind that  they are going to need watering more often than if they were in the ground. 

***Also, if you put "running" bamboo in pots, know that you will have to transplant every year or two. 

Let me know if you have any bamboo or if you plant some. 


xoxo 
Lenetta

No comments: