Sunday, February 22, 2015

Mushrooms in Texas!

I grew up in Indiana and every year we would 
go to the woods and hunt

 these beautiful little mushrooms. 

click here to learn more about them- Morel Mushrooms


It was always so exciting to find the first one, and 
then just keep looking and finding more and more of them. 

If you have never eaten a wild mushroom, you don't 
know what a great tasting mushroom is. 

Those little white button mushrooms in the grocery stores
have zero flavor when compared to these. 

I put these right up there with lobster, and sparkling Moscato, 
The flavor in these are incredible. 

They are only out once
a year, for a few weeks. 

People can't wait to go out and find them, fry them up 
and make a great mushroom sandwich. Yum! 

I have not  had any in years and really have a craving for them. 
I just found out that they grow in Hill Country in Texas. 

WHAT!!!! 

Thats exciting! 

Guess who is going to hill country this year. 

BUT-

in the meantime, I have decided I am going to try
and grow them. 
I asked Don to build me a box.
I put cardboard in the bottom 

I put dirt in it

I added a mixture of wood chips. Mushrooms also love cedar,
 so will be adding some cedar chips as time goes by.

I filled it with more dirt, peat moss, dried leaves, 

I also put in my small food compost I started doing when I 
 decided to plant mushrooms. Mushrooms love eggshells, 
potato peels and other veggie scraps.


Here is my mushroom spawn.

Crumble it up

And sprinkle it in



Turned the dirt over it. 


Watered it

now we 
WAIT!

Could be a year but I am going to be patient and 
see what happens.

In the meantime, I hope to find some in Hill Country. 

Does anyone know anyone that has grown these
successfully. 

Wiish me luck!

xoxo
Lenetta

No comments: