Thursday, March 13, 2014

Kittencal's Famous Greek Salad Review!


 Kittencal's Famous Greek Salad 
If you love Greek salad, you should give this one a try. This is a wonderful salad with great ingredients. Love the Kalamata olives. Yum! 
I will make this again, but I think next time I will 


cut the olive oil down to 3/4 of a cup instead of a whole cup. I also will add less green bell pepper, as Don is not a big fan of it. I also think it could use a little more salt also  but this salad is worth making. Instead of mixing all together right away, I did it in steps. See *'s and photos for details. 

Ingredients:



Put oil in processor

Squeeze lemons

Add lemon juice to oil

Add garlic, basil and oregano

Add red wine vinegar and mix

Slice onions

put onions in bowl

Pour oil and lemon mixture over onions

Let sit awhile in fridge

Wedge tomatoes


Mix salt, sugar and pepper

Pour over tomatoes

Mix

Chopp romaine

Peel cucumber

and chop

Slice green bell pepper

Add romaine, bell pepper, and olives in bowl and mix

*I put feta cheese on side, as I don't like it

*While waiting for salad to sit in refrigerator
enjoy a nice glass of wine :) -optional

Put tomato mixture in with lettuce mixture

Add onion mixture 



                                           Mix all together and enjoy!

Kittencal's Famous Greek Salad Recipe:

DRESSING:

1 cup olive oil
*(Next time I will use 3/4 cup)

1 extra large lemon, juice of (can use 2 lemons, make sure lemons are at room temperature before squeezing)

2-4 teaspoon dried oregano (start with 2)
*( I only used 2, but next time I will use 3)

3 teaspoons fresh minced garlic (about 2 medium cloves)

1 teaspoon dried basil

2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)

1 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)


SALAD INGREDIENTS:

1 large romaine lettuce chopped (or 2 small)

2-3 plum tomatoes (peeled seeded chopped)
*(I did not peel or remove seeds)

1 English cucumber (peeled seeded and chopped)
*(I did not remove seeds)

1 red onion, cut in slices

1 green bell pepper, (seeded and cut into rings or slices, optional)

1/2 lb feta cheese, crumbled (or to taste)

1 cup kalamata olives

DIRECTIONS:

For the dressing, in a processor or use whisk /process or whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic basil, red wine vinegar, salt and sugar until smooth. Add in more oregano and lemon juice if needed. 
*(I mixed everything above except for the salt and sugar. I poured the oil and lemon mixture over the onions and put in fridge.)

Season with black pepper.
*(I mixed salt, pepper and sugar together and mixed in tomatoes, and put in fridge.)

Chill in fridge for a couple of hours before using to blend favor. 

Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl

Pour dressing over;toss to combine

If desired, allow the salad to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving. Or refrigerate for 1 hour, tossing a few times.
*(I mixed the tomatoes mixture and the oil and lemon mixture in with salad and served immediately. 


 Enjoy!

I paired this with salmon. 
Delicious!

 xoxo
Lenetta

































No comments: