Friday, February 21, 2014

Holiday Diet Soup!

Holiday Diet Soup
This soup is not only tasty but is also good for you. And any soup that can help lose weight, I'm all for. I have made this a couple other times and it does seem to work. I like that I don't get hungry right before dinner, (which I usually do). This 


soup is very filling. The helping you are supposed to have is not skimpy, which I love.  You get 3 cups. That's a lot of soup. I have made it with 
Pearl Couscous, which I love but this time I made it with barley
that the recipe actually calls for. I also used baby spinach before but this time I used to different kinds of Kale. I chopped it very small and I love it in the soup. I also added 3 cups of barley instead of 2. 

Ingredients:



Cook barley per package directions.

Heat oil in large stockpot. (I used lg skillet) Cook onion and carrots. Saute 5 minutes
***(I cooked mine about 15 minutes)

Slice mushrooms

Add mushrooms sauté 5 more minutes


Add garlic sautéing 1 minute

Add broth

Add tomatoes

Add everything else except barley and spinach or kale

Lower heat and simmer 20-25 minutes or until carrots are tender. 


Add barley
(I did not drain the water off)


Add spinach or kale
(I chopped my kale until it was really small)


Stir well, remove from heat and serve. 
Enjoy!

Holiday Diet Soup

2 cups pearled barley
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
6 carrots-cut into 1/4 inch dice
 2-10 0z containers sliced fresh white or cremini mushrooms
(I buy whole and slice myself)
4 cloves garlic minced
8 cups reduced-sodium beef or vegetable broth
(I use vegetable)
2-14 oz cans unsalted diced tomatoes
2 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 cups baby spinach or finely chopped kale

Instructions:

Cook barley per package directions. While barley is cooking, heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium low heat. Add onion, and carrots. sauté 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic, sautéing 1 minute. Add broth, diced tomatoes and paste, Worchestershire sauce, vinegar, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 20-25 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add greens and cooked barley. Stir well, remove from heat and serve. Makes 8 large three cup servings. 

Per serving:
Servings = 8
Calories = 277
Protein = 15 g.
Fat = 6 g
Chol = 0 mg
Carbs =61 g

Enjoy!

xoxo 
Lenetta




No comments: